Monday, March 9, 2015

CISSP Preparation - Let's get started.

Getting started is sometimes one of the toughest parts of preparing for a certification.  That's not to say that there isn't a whole lot of work to be done in preparation once you've started, as that is always true, but if you approach the preparation for a certification exam methodically, this is where decisions have to be made.  There are so many different resources available, so many methods of study.  Websites, podcasts, videos, books, CBTs, practice exams, study groups, etc.  It goes on and on and it is easy to get buried in the weeds.  Add to that hundreds of posts saying "This is how I did it." and you can easily find yourself stuck in a plan that doesn't work for you and the way that your mind works.

I am still mapping out my strategy for attacking this very large body of information, but here are some of the resources that I have already determined that I may be using in some format or another:

Primary Books

  • CISSP All-In-One Exam Guide - the massive work by the late Shon Harris and while I have heard that it is not the most enjoyable read, it is still filled with massive amounts of information.
  • CISSP Study Guide - This book by Eric Conrad is a shorter, although from all accounts that I have read, easier to read and process, guide for the CISSP exam.  Very solid material.  I think I will be reading this first.

Review Guides

Podcasts & Some Practice Questions

  • Shon Harris' Podcasts - The author of the CISSP All-In-One Exam Guide has a group of podcasts going over all of the 10 domains, as well as practice questions.
  • Eric Conrad's Podcasts - The author of the CISSP Study Guide and the Eleventh Hour CISSP also has a group of podcasts discussing all of the 10 domains, as well as some practice exams.

Other Stuff

  • 100 Questions
  • CCCure.org - This is an interesting site with a lot of information.  From study guides and forums, to practice exams and such, I am sure that this will be a useful exam preparation site.
  • ISC2 - Well, this one is somewhat obvious.  Here there is information on the exam, including the outline of the exam content, some domain webcasts, buy textbooks and attend training seminars, and finally register for the exam.
There are lots of other resources available, however these are the ones that I believe I will be using primarily.  This of course may change to some degree.  There is also the fact that the exam is changing in April.  I will have to address this when there are materials out there that address this, but in the mean time, there is nothing bad within these current materials, so it is where I am going to start.  

As for any sort of study group, I just don't know how that will work.  I mentioned forming a study group in a localish (2 hours away) ISC2 group on Linked in and the response I got was "people get excited to join a study group, until it's time to go to the study group".  In other words, they fizzle out.  In any case, I live in a somewhat rural area, which makes things tough, so we'll see how it goes.

My idea for a study group is going to be pretty straight forward and non-committal.  Each meeting, we'll address a particular facet of a CBK.  Discuss it, questions that anyone may have or just dig deeper into the meaning and how it is applied within business and IT.  If nobody shows up, I'll just take the time for quiet studying, but it will be scheduled and due to the free flowing nature of the plan, it won't be thrown off if someone shows up one week and not another.  I haven't ruled out the use of something like Google Hangouts for this as well, given that I don't exactly live in a highly populated area.  The beauty of this plan, is that it wouldn't only benefit those who are studying for the CISSP, but also to those who are just security professionals who may want to talk over a particular topic with other security professionals.  We'll see how it goes!  

As always, comments and/or feedback is always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment